- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup pasta sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pepperoni (about 64 slices)
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Minced fresh basil, optional
- Crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 16x10-in. rectangle. Brush with pasta sauce to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, sausage and parmesan. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into eight slices. Place in a greased 9-in. cast-iron skillet or greased 9-in. round baking pan, cut side down.
- Bake 20 minutes; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake until golden brown, 5-10 more minutes. If desired, serve with minced fresh basil and crushed red pepper flakes. Yield: 8 appetizers.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Cheesy Pizza Rolls
"Delicious and easy! Even the 2 year old and 6 year old gobbled them up! Here's what I learned: I used a loaf of frozen bread dough and it worked great. When you put them in the GREASED pan make sure the cut side is up/down. The end pieces will be cut side up. Give them some space in your pan because they will expand while baking. I followed the baking times as written and it wasn't enough. I have an oven thermometer and kept a consistent 400 degrees. I recommend baking 30 minutes, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and bake 5-10 minutes more. They were still a bit doughy inside but oh so good! Served them with a Caesar salad for a wonderful and simple family pleasing meal!"