Cheesy Pizza Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 7 ounces vermicelli, cooked and drained
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, pepperoni, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in mushrooms; set aside.
- 2. Combine vermicelli and butter in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; toss to coat. Pour 1 cup tomato sauce over pasta; top with half of meat mixture. Combine Swiss and mozzarella cheeses; sprinkle half over top. Sprinkle with oregano and basil. Layer with remaining meat and cheese mixtures. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 422 calories, 25 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 764 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Pizza Casserole
"This recipe sounds like something my family would like, however, is the butter really necessary? Sounds like a lot of fat that might not really be needed. Anyone?"
"My family enjoyed this recipe! I did make a couple of changes because of taste preferences: we used deli ham that I cut into pieces instead of the pepperoni, I increased the basil and oregano to the recommended 1tsp., and I added a jar of sliced mushrooms (drained). Everything else I left the same. It was good! My family has asked me to make it again, so this makes it a keeper in my book. Thank you to Judy in Kentucky for sharing her recipe with us! Just a side note to the commenter below...casserole recipes usually do look like a mess in a pan, that's the point. You "throw" ingredients together to cook. It's not supposed to look like a 5 star restaurant's plate."
"we felt this was a little dry for us, we'll definitely try again with extra sauce and only pepperoni with no other meats. I also used fresh mushrooms and added black olives."
"I used ground turkey and turkey pepperoni. For the cheese, I used Italian blend and increased amount to 6 cups, omitting the Swiss cheese. I would increase the oregano and basil to 1 tsp. each."
"Super delicious, easy to make and got great responses from my whole family."
"Fantastic casserole. I did not have vermicelli so I used thin spaghetti. I will definitely make this again."
"This recipe has just a few more ingredients but well worth it!!! Picky eaters love, love, love it!"
"Wonderful..a big hit with my family. Forget to add pepperonis but just put them on top at the end and covered with foil for a couple minutes. Easy to assemble. Will definately make this one again!"