- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 7 ounces vermicelli, cooked and drained
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, pepperoni, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in mushrooms; set aside.
- Combine vermicelli and butter in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; toss to coat. Pour 1 cup tomato sauce over pasta; top with half of meat mixture. Combine Swiss and mozzarella cheeses; sprinkle half over top. Sprinkle with oregano and basil. Layer with remaining meat and cheese mixtures. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Pizza Casserole
"This recipe sounds like something my family would like, however, is the butter really necessary? Sounds like a lot of fat that might not really be needed. Anyone?"
"My family enjoyed this recipe! I did make a couple of changes because of taste preferences: we used deli ham that I cut into pieces instead of the pepperoni, I increased the basil and oregano to the recommended 1tsp., and I added a jar of sliced mushrooms (drained). Everything else I left the same. It was good! My family has asked me to make it again, so this makes it a keeper in my book. Thank you to Judy in Kentucky for sharing her recipe with us! Just a side note to the commenter below...casserole recipes usually do look like a mess in a pan, that's the point. You "throw" ingredients together to cook. It's not supposed to look like a 5 star restaurant's plate."
"we felt this was a little dry for us, we'll definitely try again with extra sauce and only pepperoni with no other meats. I also used fresh mushrooms and added black olives."
"I used ground turkey and turkey pepperoni. For the cheese, I used Italian blend and increased amount to 6 cups, omitting the Swiss cheese. I would increase the oregano and basil to 1 tsp. each."
"Super delicious, easy to make and got great responses from my whole family."