I discovered this recipe in the reader's exchange page of our local electric cooperative's magazine. Serve it whenever you've got a crowd to please!—Judy Chandler, Franklin, Kentucky
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 7 ounces vermicelli, cooked and drained
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, pepperoni, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in mushrooms; set aside.
- Combine vermicelli and butter in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; toss to coat. Pour 1 cup tomato sauce over pasta; top with half of meat mixture. Combine Swiss and mozzarella cheeses; sprinkle half over top. Sprinkle with oregano and basil. Layer with remaining meat and cheese mixtures. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Pizza Casserole in Country Ground Beef 1993, p50
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Cheesy Pizza Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review