Cheesy Pasta Pea Bake Recipe
Peas, mushrooms and green onions are delightful additions in Ruth Rigoni's version of a popular comfort food. "This is a nice change from plain macaroni and cheese," notes the Hurley, Wisconsin cook.
- 12 ounces uncooked medium shell pasta
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour and cornstarch until blended. Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add peas, jalapeno, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; simmer for 1 minute. Stir in 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese until melted. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Drain pasta; transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Stir in cheese sauce. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and remaining cheddar cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Pasta Pea Bake
Reviewed Apr. 1, 2011
"I turned this into an Italian dish omitting the chiles, hot sauce and adding some parmesan cheese, finishing with Italian buttered bread crumbs."
Reviewed Aug. 27, 2010
"i left out the mushrooms and added ground beef this was yummy! makes a great casserole"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC