- 12 ounces uncooked medium shell pasta
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour and cornstarch until blended. Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add peas, jalapeno, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; simmer for 1 minute. Stir in 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Drain pasta; transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Stir in cheese sauce. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Pasta Pea Bake in Taste of Home June/July 2001, p18
Reviews for Cheesy Pasta Pea Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 1, 2011
I turned this into an Italian dish omitting the chiles, hot sauce and adding some parmesan cheese, finishing with Italian buttered bread crumbs.
Reviewed Aug. 27, 2010
i left out the mushrooms and added ground beef this was yummy! makes a great casserole