- 12 ounces uncooked medium shell pasta
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour and cornstarch until blended. Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add peas, jalapeno, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; simmer for 1 minute. Stir in 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Drain pasta; transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Stir in cheese sauce. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Pasta Pea Bake in Taste of Home June/July 2001, p18
Reviews for Cheesy Pasta Pea Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 1, 2011
"I turned this into an Italian dish omitting the chiles, hot sauce and adding some parmesan cheese, finishing with Italian buttered bread crumbs."
Reviewed Aug. 27, 2010
"i left out the mushrooms and added ground beef this was yummy! makes a great casserole"