Cheesy Onion Pie Recipe
DURING my teen years, I lived on my aunt's farm in Illinois. This was one of her delicious dishes, and one of many I enjoyed. I'm so happy I got the recipe and later made it my own family's favorite. It's a wonderful side dish to complement any meat entree. -Phyllis Jean Sheeley, Altoona, Illinois
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onions in butter until golden brown. In a large bowl, beat eggs and cream. Add the onions, salt and pepper.
- 2. Line a deep-dish 9 in. pie plate with bottom pastry. Add egg mixture; sprinkle with bacon and cheese. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Seal and flute the edges; cut slits in top.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 425 calories, 27g fat (14g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Onion Pie
Reviewed Nov. 29, 2015
Reviewed Jul. 16, 2009
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC