Cheesy Onion Pie Recipe
DURING my teen years, I lived on my aunt's farm in Illinois. This was one of her delicious dishes, and one of many I enjoyed. I'm so happy I got the recipe and later made it my own family's favorite. It's a wonderful side dish to complement any meat entree. -Phyllis Jean Sheeley, Altoona, Illinois
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onions in butter until golden brown. In a large bowl, beat eggs and cream. Add the onions, salt and pepper.
- 2. Line a deep-dish 9 in. pie plate with bottom pastry. Add egg mixture; sprinkle with bacon and cheese. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Seal and flute the edges; cut slits in top.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 425 calories, 27g fat (14g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein .
Reviews for Cheesy Onion Pie
Reviewed Nov. 29, 2015
Reviewed Jul. 16, 2009
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC