Cheesy Onion Burger Buns Recipe
These buns regularly get packed as part of my husband's lunch! I've copied this recipe for many peopleone of the nice things about it is that it also makes very good breadsticks to take to covered-dish suppers or take to picnics. I like to cook...and taste, too! In addition, I enjoy sewing and all kinds of crafts, and I've been fortunate to win several blue ribbons at Country Fair.
- 5-3/4 to 6-3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, yeast and butter. Gradually add hot water. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Add 1 cup flour and beat on high speed 2 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, onion and enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and turn out onto a slightly floured surface. Divide dough into 20 pieces; shape into smooth balls and place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the pans and cool on wire racks. Yield: 20 hamburger buns.
Originally published as Cheesy Onion Burger Buns in Country Woman November/December 1990, p31
Reviews for Cheesy Onion Burger Buns(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review