Cheesy Onion Biscuits
Fresh from our Test Kitchen, these scone-shaped biscuits have a savory onion-and-cheddar flavor and a golden shell. Serve them with a pat of butter alongside your favorite soup.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Place onion in a small microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on
- high for 1-2 minutes or until tender. In a small bowl, combine the
- flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening until
- mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese and onion. Stir in
- buttermilk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll
- out into a 4-in. circle; cut into four wedges. Place 2 in. apart on
- a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 8-12
- minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 4 biscuits.
Nutritional Facts: 1 biscuit equals 150 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber,