Cheesy Noodle Casserole
This rich, cheesy side dish is such an excellent meal extender that I always keep it in mind whenever I feel my menu needs a boost. It's a quick and easy casserole to fix...and is always devoured in a hurry!
-Shirley McKee, Varna, Illinois
24 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 packages (1 pound each) wide egg noodles
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 5 to 6 cups 2% milk
- 2 pounds process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a
- Dutch oven, melt butter. Stir in the flour, garlic salt and onion
- salt until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the cheese; stir until
- melted. Stir in noodles.
- Transfer to two greased shallow 2-qt. baking dishes. Combine the
- bread crumbs and butter until crumbly; sprinkle over casseroles.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden
- brown. Yield: 2 casseroles (12 servings each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 283 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 697 mg sodium,