This entree may lack meat but it's loaded with three cheeses! Using homemade crepes instead of manicotti shells makes it special for holidays and other gatherings.—Lori Henry, Elkhart, Indiana
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cartons (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan; combine the first 11 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until sauce is reduced to 5 cups, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat eggs and water. Combine flour and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. In a large bowl, combine filling ingredients. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat 3/4 teaspoon oil in an 8-in. nonstick skillet. Stir crepe batter; pour a scant 3 tablespoons into center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, using remaining oil as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- Spread about 1/4 cup filling down the center of each crepe; roll up and place 12 crepes in each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Spoon sauce over top. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Manicotti Crepes in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p98
Reviews for Cheesy Manicotti Crepes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review