- 1 loaf (1 pound) sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 small leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup beer
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the bread cubes, half of the leeks and half of the red pepper, 3/4 cup Swiss cheese and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese. Repeat layers once.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, beer, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over cheese. Cover with plastic wrap. Weigh strata down with a slightly smaller baking dish. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove strata from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Leek Strata in Test Kitchen Favorites 2004 2005, p179
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Cheesy Leek Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review