- 1 package (1/4 ounces) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, garlic salt, and cheese. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each half into a 14-in. loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Brush loaves with water. Make three diagonal slashes about 1/2 in. deep with a very sharp knife in each loaf.
- Fill a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with 1 in. of hot water and place on the bottom oven rack. Bake bread at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Cheesy Italian Bread
Sort By :
"Really good! I may have used a touch too much flour this time around...but that was a novice bread maker fault. Will make again."
"I have made this twice now and my family loves it!"
"Just a question before I bake this bread. I do not use garlic salt, so how much salt and garlic powder would I use?"
"Delicious bread and easy to make. I am new to bread-making. This bread was a great boost to my confidence in making bread. I would encourage all to give it a try. A big, big hit at our house !!!"