Cheesy Hash Brown Egg Casserole with Bacon Recipe
"Isn't it about time for you to make your 'egg pie?'" my husband and sons inquire, using the nickname they've given this hearty casserole. It's nice enough for a special brunch and versatile enough for a satisfying family supper. —Patricia Throlson, Willmar, Minnesota
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons. In the same skillet, saute onion and green pepper in drippings until tender; remove with a slotted spoon.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and seasonings. Stir in the hash browns, cheese, onion mixture and bacon.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 391 calories, 28 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 357 mg cholesterol, 887 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 18 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC