Cheesy Ham Macaroni Recipe
- 1 package (8 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 11 crackers)
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile in large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheese; cook and stir until melted. Stir in the ham, mushrooms and pimientos. Drain macaroni; stir into ham mixture.
- 2. Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs; dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 420 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 983mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Ham Macaroni
"I substituted kilbasa for the ham, deleted the mushrooms and pimientos. It's wicked good"
"Super yummy and easy! This fed 5 people, though. To be fair, two of them were teenage boys."
"I used shells instead of elbow macaroni and fresh mushrooms instead of canned. My toddler and my husband and I loved it!"
"Our family really liked this recipe!!!"
"Made it for the first time, really easy and fast to get in the oven. Family and I liked it alot and will for sure be making it again. The only thing I didn't do was add the mushrooms, not a big fan."
"Very Delish!! I used velveeta cheese which made it very creamy and drowned out the flour taste. For the crumb topping I used ritz crackers cause it was all i had on hand...very good will definately make again!"
"I have made this twice. Second time I used more ham, diced and the large sized macaroni. The kids liked the recipe just the way it was before I tried to "improve" it. I haven't used the cracker topping either, and it was great without it."
"Nice recipe but in my opinion too much flour which made it taste a bit pastey and ended up adding a can of cream of mushroom soup. The next time I make this "white roux" I'll use less flour and stir in a pinch of dry mustard. The DH hurt my hurt my feelings when he suggested that I just cooked a boxed of mac and cheese and threw in everything else and topped it off with crackers:( but it worth trying again!!!"
"This was really good. It's the day after Easter and I was looking for a tasty way to use some of the left over ham with what I already had on hand. This was it! The only substitution I made was using one cup of mozzarella and one cup of cheddar jack instead of the sharp cheddar because that's what I already had. Yum."