- 1 package (8 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 11 crackers)
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile in large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheese; cook and stir until melted. Stir in the ham, mushrooms and pimientos. Drain macaroni; stir into ham mixture.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs; dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Ham Macaroni
"I substituted kilbasa for the ham, deleted the mushrooms and pimientos. It's wicked good"
"If you enjoy mac and cheese, you will enjoy this casserole. It is mac and cheese with a little different approach but still delicious.The only thing I did differently was to double the recipe and put in a 4 quart casserole dish."
"Super yummy and easy! This fed 5 people, though. To be fair, two of them were teenage boys."
"I used shells instead of elbow macaroni and fresh mushrooms instead of canned. My toddler and my husband and I loved it!"
"Our family really liked this recipe!!!"