Cheesy Ham Chowder Recipe
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Ham Chowder
Sort By :
"This was the best chowder I've ever had. Nothing is more comforting or says home cooked like this hearty meal. If you are looking for a chowder recipe, do yourself a favour and look no further. Make this chowder. Right now. I I only wish I had had a biscuit to top it off ;)"
"My whole family loves this chowder. It's definitely comfort food at our house in winter. Love the idea of adding different veggies. Will try that next time."
"I am not a big fan of ham chowders, but my husband loved this. I'll keep it in my recipe box for him."
"This recipe is not only delicious but also versatile! Follow the basics but you can vary the veggies. Tonight I added diced zucchini! I cut back a bit on the bacon & cheese but it's still great. What a wonderful recipe for a chilly night!"
"This is by far one of my favorite meals from taste of home, this is how I got hooked, when a meal says 5 stars, they aren't lying, they truly are 5 stars!!!! Delicious meal, wouldn't change a thing:) use Cabot seriously sharp cheddar cheese!"