- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Ham Chowder
"This was great and the whole family enjoyed! The pickiest grandson asked for seconds . . . a first for him! Thanks so much, will make again soon."
"The was a very good & easy recipe. I had everything on hand just had to get the ham. Highly recommend it & will be making it again."
"Outstanding recipe. I used smoked ham steaks, used white pepper, and followef a recommendation of adding thyme. I also used ham stock insteak of the recommended chicken bouillon. Tossed two diced stalks of celery in with the onions and carrots and minced a couple cloves of garlic. I also used half and half in place of the milk. I'll make this a couple times every fall/winter. Great flavor. Even though it's thick, oyster crackers work well."
"I thought this was a great recipe! I just added a bay leaf, thyme and garlic powder to add more flavor. I also added more chicken granules to it. I did double the recipe as well. Turned out great!!"
"I make something very similar to this and my crew loves it. Only difference is I use chicken broth instead of the bouillon and no bacon. Good stuff!"
"Great soup! I did cut back on the amount of bacon grease I used, seemed like a lot. Used 2% milk, it was fine. My finished soup was a little thick so I added a little chicken broth until it was perfect."
"I am so happy I found this recipe so simple quick and delicious. My family loved this and asked when I could make it again. The only downfall is I didn't find this recipe sooner!!"
"Great way to use up leftover ham."
"OMG, I have made this soup 3 weeks in a row & my family want it again tomorrow for Sunday diner! Since we are all dieting, I put in zucchini instead of potatoes Even my little grandchildren love this!"