- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Ham Chowder
Sort By :
"That was really good. I used half the cheese. I'm sure you could add a few spices oe vwggies to change it up but this is definitely going into rotation for the winter!"
"Easy to make. Tastes OK. I'd call it average."
"Very delicious and easy! A nice, hearty soup."
"Supper good!!! I like to make a recipe as written the first time I make it.The second time I made this I thought I would lighten it up, it's to goodto eat just a cup of.... So I used smoked ham with no bacon. Pet milk anwater for milk and half as much cheese. Added 2 cups celery andmade some creamed corn to add as well as the whole corn. One tblspflour instead of 3. Still very good and I think it was alot less calories. Iused home canned corn, and never add sugar to it when I can it."