Cheesy Ham Chowder Recipe
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Ham Chowder
Sort By :
Delicious. My first time cooking soup from "scratch". Made me look like a pro!!! I changed a few things...added 1 1/2 c of half and half, increased flour to 4 tbsp., left bacon and ham in for the simmering stage and increased the quantity of ham to 3 cups. Topped with additional sprinkle of cheese. Amazing. Thank you for this wonderful recipe. It will be a favorite in this family forever!
WOW! This is the best chowder recipe I have ever cooked. I tasted it before I had added the cheese and it was great even with out it. I followed the recipe exactly. I had the chowder on low while we ate it and it did curdle up a bit. With the 3 cup of cheese it was great, but will try 1 1/2 cups of cheese the next time I cook this. Thank You for a Great Recipe!!!!!
This chowder was rich, thick and hearty and awesome flavor. Stick to your ribs meal in itself !
I thought this soup turned out great! I didn't like the idea of thickening before the potatoes were added, so I mixed the flour with the shredded cheese and added it then. Also added more milk based on other reviews that said soup was too thick. Result was great soup, and it reheats really well the next day, too.
I would definitely make this again. I thought it came out a little thick and my boyfriend wanted more bacon, but those were the only complaints.