- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Ham Chowder
Sort By :
"Oh MY! All the raves about this soup are 100% true. Delicious, creamy and hearty. Love the cubed ham and crumbled crisp bacon. The stock itself is flavorful and rich. It's like a loaded potato soup, but with extra cheese as the base. Even my two young, picky kiddos (age 3 and 7) gobbled this up and asked for seconds. Will make this a normal part of our rotation. THANKS for posting!"
"This is one of my favorite soup/chowder recipes....perfect exactly like it is written, no changes needed!"
"I made this for my daughter, son-in-law, and grand daughter (who is 1), and they absolutely loved it!!!! Its a keeper recipe for sure!!! I changed a couple of things, like I do to every recipe. I didn't have 3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese...I had an 8 oz block of pepper jack I grated and some pepper velveeta slices (about 8) I used. I added some thinly sliced celery and 2 or 3 finely chopped garlic cloves with the onions and carrots. I had some whipping cream I needed to use, so I used about 2 1/2 cups 2 percent milk and 1/2 c. whipping cream. I used about 4 cups of potatoes because my kids love the potatoes and used about 3 cups of ham. Served it with some mile high homemade biscuits and they all three pigged out!!!!"
"Great soup, tasted just liked scalloped potatoes and ham. I also used chicken broth instead of the water and bullion. Was afraid it would curdle while waiting for the potatoes to cook but it didn't. I will make again, thanks!"
"Made this tonight for dinner! It has been snowing all day and sounded like it was worth a try. It was! Fantastic dinner will definitely make again! Super easy to make!"