- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Ham Chowder
Sort By :
"This is so good, you will be happy you made it! Small changes, I used four strips of turkey bacon and less cheese. I can't wait to have left overs!! Yummers!"
"Perfect way to use leftover ham from Easter. Because I have to be gluten free, I subbed cornstarch for the flour. For my taste, there was too much cheese and next time I will cut it down to 2 c. or less. That is a personal preference. This is a hearty soup and is delicious. Thank you to whomever submitted it."
"Excellent soup! We served it to ten and not one complaint. Definitely worth making again."
"Oh MY! All the raves about this soup are 100% true. Delicious, creamy and hearty. Love the cubed ham and crumbled crisp bacon. The stock itself is flavorful and rich. It's like a loaded potato soup, but with extra cheese as the base. Even my two young, picky kiddos (age 3 and 7) gobbled this up and asked for seconds. Will make this a normal part of our rotation. THANKS for posting!"
"This is one of my favorite soup/chowder recipes....perfect exactly like it is written, no changes needed!"