Cheesy Ham Chowder Recipe
This recipe is one of my family's favorites. The chowder is chock-full of potatoes, ham and carrots. I like to make this comforting soup at least once or twice a month during the fall and winter. —Jennifer Trenhaile, Emerson, Nebraska
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 418 calories, 28 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 1,056 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC