- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Ham Chowder
Sort By :
"Best and easiest chowder recipe I've come across. Add ground beef/turkey instead of ham and, BAM, you have Cheeseburger chowder. Love this recipe both ways! Kid friendly - My 1 year old niece loved it. (Used White Cheddar Cheez-Its for crackers and they give it an extra umph!)"
"Good flavor. My kids loved it."
"Made this last night after seeing the recipe. Oh boy, was this ever good! With six kids still at home and it pleased each one of them. Two different things I did: I did not add bacon (didn't have it), next, I used deli ham sliced into small pieces. This is a keeper recipe!!!"
"Great use for leftover ham... rich, hardy soup"
"This is so good, you will be happy you made it! Small changes, I used four strips of turkey bacon and less cheese. I can't wait to have left overs!! Yummers!"