Cheesy Ham Braid Recipe
"Our congregation is full of wonderful cooks, so we enjoy many potluck meals throughout the year," relates Becky Houston of Grand Junction, Tennessee. "I like to share this chewy and cheesy braid I got from a family friend."
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups chopped fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) Galbani® Ricotta Cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the contents of the roll mix and yeast packets. Stir in the warm water, egg and 1 tablespoon butter. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in remaining butter until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in ham, cheeses and parsley.
- 3. On a greased baking sheet, roll dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spoon ham mixture lengthwise down the center of dough. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips about 2 in into the center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes or until almost doubled.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat egg white and cold water; brush over dough. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 428 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 1,035 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC