Cheesy Ham 'n' Rice Soup Recipe
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2-2/3 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 8 cups water
- Slivered almonds, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add carrots; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. In a large kettle or Dutch oven, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Stir in the wild rice, ham, brown rice, bouillon, celery mixture and water. Return to a boil. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Ham 'n' Rice Soup(9)
Sort By :
Our family favorite :) Love love love
This is my favorite soup to make. It makes a large batch of super savory soup. When I take leftovers to work, co-workers are jealous.
I added 8 oz. sliced mushrooms, just because they needed to be used. A great addition, but would be good just the way the recipe is written. This was an awesome recipe! It is flagged as a new favorite.
I don't put the ham in it because I'm vegetarian, and I don't use the veleeta. I substitute with a different cheese.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Almond Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cheese Soup >
- Cheese Soup Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Ham Recipes >
- Ham Soup >
- Nut Recipes >