Here's a real gem! After tasting a similar soup at a popular restaurant in the Twin Cities, I came up with my own version. Everyone who tastes it says it's wonderful. Adding the almonds at the end gives the soup a fun crunch. -Nicole Weir, Hager City, Wisconsin
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2-2/3 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 8 cups water
- Slivered almonds, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add carrots; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. In a large kettle or Dutch oven, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Stir in the wild rice, ham, brown rice, bouillon, celery mixture and water. Return to a boil. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Ham 'n' Rice Soup in Taste of Home February/March 2003, p41
Reviews for Cheesy Ham 'n' Rice Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review