- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2-2/3 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 8 cups water
- Slivered almonds, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add carrots; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. In a large kettle or Dutch oven, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Stir in the wild rice, ham, brown rice, bouillon, celery mixture and water. Return to a boil. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Ham 'n' Rice Soup
"Our family favorite :) Love love love"
"I added 8 oz. sliced mushrooms, just because they needed to be used. A great addition, but would be good just the way the recipe is written. This was an awesome recipe! It is flagged as a new favorite."
"I don't put the ham in it because I'm vegetarian, and I don't use the veleeta. I substitute with a different cheese."
"Once I made this that was it for me. It is a favorite for anyone that tastes it. Always have excellent reviews. I have made it for family gatherings, office luncheons, and potlucks. I love it and so does anyone who tastes. I sometimes use Lactaid milk for people who might be lactose intolerant and it's delicious either way."
"This is my husband's favorite! He requests it every year for his birthday. I, too, omit the salt. I had been using the low-sodium boullion granules, but tonight my sister suggested I use low-sodium chicken broth in place of some of the water (we used a 48 oz. pkg of broth and 2 cups water). That turned out even better!"
"The sodium content of this soup as written is outrageous! I omitted the salt completely and replaced 1 tblsp. of chicken bouillon granules with no sodium granules. It was still plenty salty, I may reduce the regular chicken bouillon more next time. To reduce fat I used fat-free evaporated milk instead of the half and half and 2% milk velveeta instead of regular. My whole family loved it!"
"This is such a comforting soup. My family requests it every year when we go skiing and there are rarely leftovers."