Cheesy Ham 'N' Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets, thawed and chopped
- In a saucepan, bring potatoes and water to a boil. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid; set potatoes and liquid aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute ham and onion in butter until onion is tender. Stir in the flour and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk and reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese, broccoli and reserved potatoes; cook and stir until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Ham 'N' Potato Soup(14)
Sort By :
I'll be making this as one of my 3 soups for our Christmas get-together but I'll add sour cream and garnish with crisp potato shreds. Will use the corn rather than broccoli also since more child friendly and perhaps use a bit of parsley for color. I also use homemade chicken broth rather than water for added depth. I'm rating this 4 stars as it takes the additions to make it a 5!
I altered it slightly. Instead of broccoli I used corn, instead of the 1 c of reserved cooking liquid I used cream of chicken soup, and instead of shredded cheddar cheese I used Velveeta cheese cubed. I also added a little chili powder for a little spice. Served it with biscuits and the whole family loved it:)
My grandmother found this recipe for me when I needed it for a soup-potluck, we fell in love with it while making it! It's incredibly aromatic and tasty!
Really simple recipe that is delicious!
Easy, and picky eater approved! Some of us don't like broccoli, so I add a can of corn instead.