Cheesy Garlic Grits
This recipe is the perfect side dish for brunch. The grits are so smooth and creamy and have so much flavor from the cheese and garlic.—Rose Tuttle, Oviedo, Florida
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup cornflakes, coarsely crushed
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce
- heat; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese
- and garlic powder; stir until cheese is melted. Pour into greased
- 2-cup baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over grits.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until firm and top
- is lightly toasted. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 186 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 662 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat.