Cheesy Floret Soup Recipe
"I received the recipe for this comforting soup from my mom, and my family requests it often," says Janice Russell of Kingfisher, Oklahoma. "It's especially good with crusty French bread."
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/3 cups whole milk
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Drain vegetables; add cheese sauce and heat through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 401 calories, 28 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 1,169 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC