- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter, cubed, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- In a skillet, saute the mushrooms and onions in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, combine eggs and cheeses. Melt remaining butter; add to egg mixture. Stir into dry ingredients along with mushroom mixture.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Carefully run the knife around edge of muffin cups before removing. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Cheesy Egg Puffs
"As I was making this, I thought, "Why am I making this? It's probably not very good." So glad I was wrong! I got 24 muffins, not 15. A bonus!"
"These were good. I added cooked pork sausage, bell peppers and spinach to mine along with the recommended ingredients listed. I didn't have any green onions so I substituted one yellow onion. I also didn't have any Colby cheese so I used shredded taco blend cheeses to mine. I love the fact that you can pretty much used anything in this recipe that your family likes or what you have on hand and it still turns our wonderful. These would also be good with diced tomatoes or salsa added on top just before serving and maybe even a teaspoon of sour cream. This is certainly a keeper and will go in my favorite recipes file."
"I really liked these hot out of the oven, but as much reheated. I love recipes I can make ahead so I'll try this again and see how they are."
"Delicious Recipe!! I made these in mini muffin size, and in a brownie pan, with DOUBLE the mushrooms and some garlic, and everyone RAVED.:0) My husband asked if he could take some extra in to work to share with some coworkers, and he never does that! This is a keeper, and like others said - this recipe is flexible. (But it's GREAT as is!)"
"I have made these repeatedly over the years, adding crumbled bacon to them. Many times after baking I will freeze them individually and pull out what I need for breakfast and zap them in the microwave to reheat. They are WONDERFUL and great for low carb diets!"