Cheesy Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) frozen cut asparagus
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Prepare asparagus according to package directions; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly.
- 2. Pour half of the milk mixture into a blender; add half of the asparagus. Cover and process until blended. Strain and discard pulp; return soup to the saucepan. Repeat with the remaining milk mixture and asparagus. Stir in the cheese, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup: 261 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 852mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Cream of Asparagus Soup
"BEST asparagus soup I've ever had. I used fresh asparagus which I boiled, cooled, blended with a little milk., then added to hot soup. I didn't have milk on hand so I used about a cup of evaporated milk and 3.5 cups homemade chicken broth. DELICIOUS!"
"Loved it. I didn't have any hot sauce so I added pepper cheese mixed with cheddar"
"I think I will stay with cheddar cheese and instead of using frozen asparagus, I sauted fresh asparagus, celery and onion ahead of time."
"This soup was very good. It had a smooth consistancy until I put in the cheese. Then it looked a bit curdled. Next time I make this, I will include some onion and use Velveeta cheese."
"This was an absolutely excellent recipe. I changed a few ingredients and would not recommend straining the pulp. I did not add the hot pepper sauce, but otherwise, it was AMAZING!!!"