- 2 packages (12 ounces each) frozen cut asparagus
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare asparagus according to package directions; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly.
- Pour half of the milk mixture into a blender; add half of the asparagus. Cover and process until blended. Strain and discard pulp; return soup to the saucepan. Repeat with the remaining milk mixture and asparagus. Stir in the cheese, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Cream of Asparagus Soup
"Loved it. I didn't have any hot sauce so I added pepper cheese mixed with cheddar"
"I think I will stay with cheddar cheese and instead of using frozen asparagus, I sauted fresh asparagus, celery and onion ahead of time."
"This soup was very good. It had a smooth consistancy until I put in the cheese. Then it looked a bit curdled. Next time I make this, I will include some onion and use Velveeta cheese."
"This was an absolutely excellent recipe. I changed a few ingredients and would not recommend straining the pulp. I did not add the hot pepper sauce, but otherwise, it was AMAZING!!!"