Cheesy Corn-Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 cup plain or seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons each chopped green pepper, celery and onion
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- 1. Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato; scoop out and discard pulp. Sprinkle salt inside tomatoes if desired. Invert on paper towel to drain.
- 2. Combine the bread crumbs, corn, green pepper, celery, onion, cream and butter; spoon into tomatoes. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Pour water into the baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with plain bread crumbs, margarine and low-fat mozzarella and without salt) equals 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat; also, 131 calories, 108 mg sodium, 3 mg cholesterol, 27 gm carbohydrate, 5 gm protein, 2 gm fat.