Cheesy Corn-Stuffed Tomatoes
My husband and I look forward to this easy, fresh-tasting side dish in summer when tomatoes are at their best. I love to invite friends over for dinner and serve these colorful tomatoes. Mrs. Patrick Dore, Burlington, Ontario
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 cup plain or seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons each chopped green pepper, celery and onion
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato; scoop out and discard
- pulp. Sprinkle salt inside tomatoes if desired. Invert on paper
- towel to drain.
- Combine the bread crumbs, corn, green pepper, celery, onion, cream
- and butter; spoon into tomatoes. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x
- 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Pour water into the baking
- dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until tomatoes
- are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with plain bread crumbs, margarine and low-fat mozzarella and without salt) equals 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat; also, 131 calories, 108 mg sodium, 3 mg cholesterol, 27 gm carbohydrate, 5 gm protein, 2 gm fat.