My husband and I look forward to this easy, fresh-tasting side dish in summer when tomatoes are at their best. I love to invite friends over for dinner and serve these colorful tomatoes. —Mrs. Patrick Dore, Burlington, Ontario
Recommended: 31 Irresistible Veggie Sides
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 cup plain or seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons each chopped green pepper, celery and onion
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato; scoop out and discard pulp. Sprinkle salt inside tomatoes if desired. Invert on paper towel to drain.
- Combine the bread crumbs, corn, green pepper, celery, onion, cream and butter; spoon into tomatoes. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Pour water into the baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Corn-Stuffed Tomatoes in Taste of Home June/July 1997, p39