Cheesy Corn Spoon Bread Recipe
Homey and comforting, this custard-like side dish is a much-requested recipe at potlucks and holiday dinners. They jalapeno pepper adds just the right "bite". Seconds helpings of this tasty casserole are common - leftovers aren't. -Katherine Franklin, Carbondale, Illinois
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs; add sour cream, both cans of corn, salt and pepper. Stir in corn bread mix just until blended. Fold in sauteed onion, jalapeno and 1-1/2 cups of cheese.
- 3. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean; cool slightly. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 264 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 477 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC