Cheesy Corn Chowder Recipe
I've had this chowder recipe for 30 years, and the whole family really enjoys its cheesy corn taste. It makes a big pot—enough for seconds! —Lola Comer, Marysville, Washington
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:15 servings
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cans (11 ounces each) gold and white corn, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups 2% milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until onion is tender. Add the water, potatoes, carrots and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Stir in corn and pepper. In a large bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses; cook and stir until melted. Yield: 15 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 282 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 644 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC