Cheesy Corn Bread
What could be more fun for a Southwestern or a cowboy theme party than corn bread shaped like cactus? Cheddar cheese mixed in makes it even more special. Guests will want seconds.
-Sandra Thorn, Sonora, California
16-20 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 cups milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; cut in
- shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small
- bowl, combine milk and eggs; stir into dry ingredients just until
- blended. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle
- with cheese. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into squares. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 303 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 583 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.