Cheesy Chimichangas Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- canola oil
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes
- Sour cream and guacamole, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in garlic salt and pepper.
- 2. Brush one side of each tortilla with oil. Spoon 1/4 cup beef mixture off-center on oiled side of tortillas. Top with 1 tablespoon each of salsa, cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up. Secure with toothpicks; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Brush with oil
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Remove toothpicks.
- 4. Serve chimichangas on a bed of lettuce and tomato. Spoon remaining salsa over chimichangas. Serve with sour cream and guacamole if desired. Yield: 1 dozen.
Timely Tip: Keep a batch of Cheesy Chimichangas in the freezer. Assemble as directed and freeze in an airtight container up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator, brush with oil and bake as directed.
1 each: 338 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 955mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Chimichangas
"Chimichangas are usually deep fried; these taste great baked."