- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- canola oil
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes
- Sour cream and guacamole, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in garlic salt and pepper.
- Brush one side of each tortilla with oil. Spoon 1/4 cup beef mixture off-center on oiled side of tortillas. Top with 1 tablespoon each of salsa, cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up. Secure with toothpicks; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Brush with oil
- Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Remove toothpicks.
- Serve chimichangas on a bed of lettuce and tomato. Spoon remaining salsa over chimichangas. Serve with sour cream and guacamole if desired. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forCheesy Chimichangas
"quick, delicious, and lovely. Used ground turkey and added 2/3 package of taco seasoning. Even my kids liked it which is saying a lot! Yummy!!!"
"These chimichangas are very good. The only change I made was to add a little taco sauce and taco seasoning to the ground beef mixture. (also used half ground turkey and half ground beef) I will definitely make these again. Thanks for a great recipe!"
"Chimichangas are usually deep fried; these taste great baked."