Cook once and eat twice with this hearty Southwestern casserole. With help from a few convenience products, it quickly goes together before you freeze it or pop it into the oven to bake.—Linda Baldwin, Long Beach, California
Recommended: 68 Cinco de Mayo Party Recipes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chili with beans
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen Tater Tots
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the chili, tomato sauce, olives and chilies. Transfer to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese; top with Tater Tots. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months.
- Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- To use frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until heated through. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Originally published as Cheesy Chili Tots in Comfort Food Classics 2009 2008, p42
Reviews for Cheesy Chili Tots
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2012
"This was ok, not sure what I was expecting but I prob wont make again, loved the tater tots when I got a bite of em w the mix, but not the mix alone if that makes sense.."