Cheesy Chili Rellenos
I got this meatless main dish recipe in South Dakota. It also makes a good side dish. I live on a cattle ranch and cook three meals a day, so I'm always interested in finding different recipes.Mary Morrow, Jordan Valley, Oregon
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) whole green chilies, drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- Cut chilies open lengthwise. Rinse; removing seeds. Place chilies on
- paper towels to drain. Combine cheeses; set aside 1/2 cup for
- topping. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cream and eggs until
- In a greased deep 1-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the cheese,
- chilies and egg mixture. Repeat layers. Pour tomato sauce over the
- top; sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until knife
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes
- before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 241 calories, 17 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 416 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 13 g protein.