- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (7 ounces) whole green chilies, rinsed and seeded
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce or 1 cup fresh salsa, drained, divided
- In a large bowl, combine cheeses. In a greased 11x7-in. baking dish, layer cheese and chilies. Whisk the eggs, flour and milk; pour over cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Top with half the tomato sauce or salsa; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Chili Casserole
"This recipe sounded good, but after reading some of the other reviews; I thought I'd doctor it up a bit. I added shredded steak and a can of black beans, and served it on tortillas with sour cream, guacamole, and salsa. I would make this again and I think by substituting hamburger for the steak this would make a really good dip with chips, like for a party or something."
"I took the suggestions of previous reviewers, added ground beef, a can of black beans and half a packet of taco seasoning mixed together as the first layer. My family LOVED this!! Nothing leftover. This was delicious. Thank you!"
"Add re-fried beans or even black beans. GO WILD!!!!"
"WHERE ARE THE BEANS ??"
"This was pretty good. I added a pound of ground beef to make it more of a main dish, but the initial 30 minutes in the oven burned the top layer so I'd suggest starting with 20."