- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (7 ounces) whole green chilies, rinsed and seeded
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce or 1 cup fresh salsa, drained, divided
- In a large bowl, combine cheeses. In a greased 11x7-in. baking dish, layer cheese and chilies. Whisk the eggs, flour and milk; pour over cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Top with half the tomato sauce or salsa; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Chili Casserole
Sort By :
"This recipe sounded good, but after reading some of the other reviews; I thought I'd doctor it up a bit. I added shredded steak and a can of black beans, and served it on tortillas with sour cream, guacamole, and salsa. I would make this again and I think by substituting hamburger for the steak this would make a really good dip with chips, like for a party or something."
"I think this dish is supposed to be more like a quiche. And the chili refers to the green chili peppers not chili as we think of it with hamburger and beans. This is a Mexican inspired casserole."
"I took the suggestions of previous reviewers, added ground beef, a can of black beans and half a packet of taco seasoning mixed together as the first layer. My family LOVED this!! Nothing leftover. This was delicious. Thank you!"
"Add re-fried beans or even black beans. GO WILD!!!!"
"I would use Sirloin, Pork, Chicken or even hamburger. This recipe almost sounds like a dip for a party but with the flour and eggs that would be to heavy for a dip. This dish would also be great buy adding your choice of meat with tortillas layered or shredded through out the Casserole.Try it!!!!"