- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds process cheese (Velveeta)
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, onions and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, chilies and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool before freezing. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen chili: Thaw in the refrigerator; heat in a saucepan or microwave. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews for Cheesy Chili
Sort By :
This was so cheesy I served it with scoops chips, and my family loved it, will be making it again
I needed something quick for dinner, and saw this recipe in a little booklet I'd just purchased so decided to try it. I only had one can of the diced tomatoes and chilies, but as I just wanted to make half the recipe, I used the one can and added a 14.5 oz. can of chili ready tomatoes that had seasonings in them in place of a plain can of diced tomatoes. I used a little more water, and added a few tablespoons of packaged chili seasoning. I used Mexican-style Velveeta, but only used one half a pound and the soup was plenty cheesy. We served it with crushed tortilla chips, a little grated cheddar and Jack cheese, ( I had little bits of those two kinds that needed to be used up), and we put dollops of sour cream on top. It tasted great! Will make again.
This recipe has quickly become a favorite in our home. Super easy to throw together and the kids LOVE it! A go to comfort food for a chilly winter evening!
I don't consider this to be chili, but rather "soup." Made it this afternoon and it was delicious....even reducing the recipe by half made a ton for the two of us. She indicated that it froze well and that's what I've done. Really was excellent and so simple. Had everything on hand.