Cheesy Chicken Parmigiana
FOR YEARS my husband ordered Chicken Parmigiana at restaurants. Then I found this recipe in our local newspaper, adjusted it for two and began making this at home. After 50 years of marriage, I still enjoy making his favorite recipes.
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a small saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and
- garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, lightly beat the egg. In another
- shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken
- in egg, then coat with crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 5
- minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Top
- with mozzarella cheese. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes longer or until
- cheese is melted. Serve with tomato sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 444 calories, 26 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 166 mg cholesterol, 1,496 mg sodium,