FOR YEARS my husband ordered Chicken Parmigiana at restaurants. Then I found this recipe in our local newspaper, adjusted it for two and began making this at home. After 50 years of marriage, I still enjoy making his favorite recipes.
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a small saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, lightly beat the egg. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken in egg, then coat with crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Top with mozzarella cheese. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with tomato sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Parmigiana in Reminisce Extra July 2006, p 52
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Cheesy Chicken Parmigiana
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review