- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a small saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, lightly beat the egg. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken in egg, then coat with crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Top with mozzarella cheese. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with tomato sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Cheesy Chicken Parmigiana
"Made this exactly as written. It was very very good, but took much longer for the chicken to cook. I probably only needed 1/4 of the sauce and that was for FOUR large chicken breasts. Think I'd go a liile less on the Italian seasoning next time too. All four of us enjoyed this and I will make it again"
"Great idea using the Dressing. I'm making pot roast tonight but tomorrow, I'll put it to the test."
"I used reduced fat Italian dressing instead of the egg, and it worked great! Excellent recipe!"