Cheesy Chicken Chowder Recipe
I like to serve this hearty chowder with garlic bread and a salad. It's a wonderful dish to prepare when company drops in. The rich, mild flavor and tender chicken and vegetables appeal even to children and picky eaters. —Hazel Fritchie, Palestine, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (about 8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1. In a 4-quart saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat; add the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese, stirring until melted; add to broth along with chicken. Cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 322 calories, 19 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 1,100 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC