Cheesy Chicken 'n' Shells Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium shell pasta
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup diced process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the flour and water until smooth. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add soup, cheese and seasonings. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- 3. Drain pasta; place in a bowl. Stir in soup mixture and chicken. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2-4 servings.
1 cup: 429 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 1304mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Chicken 'n' Shells
"This really wasn't all that great. I thought it was bland. I would rather make Mac and cheese and put chicken in it. I won't make this again. I just didn't think it was worth the trouble. We didn't even eat the leftovers :("
"I served this to 3 friends and they loved it. I added more cheese than the recipe called for and it was very yummy! Will definitely serve this again."
"I added 3/4 cup of peas & carrots. Tasted fabulous!"
"Whole family loved it!"
"very good! wouldn't change a thing!"
"The cheese sauce is absolutely delicious. Overall, the recipe is great. I added double the amount of salt (used reduced sodium broth to control salt content) and pepper and add a dash of red pepper."
"It was alright but pretty average. I didn't add salt and it was still a little salty."
"This is very good and pretty simple. I substituted whole wheat rotini for the semolina shells. I've made it several times for our fellowship, using a crockpot. Cook the pasta for a few minutes less than directed on the pkg. so it's not soggy."
"I used 2 cups whole wheat shells, and used 3 cups shredded cheese instead of velveeta. I topped it off with crumbled Cheez-its."
"Mmmmm-tastes like comfort food. I substituted whole wheat rotini for the shells, omitted the salt and the buttered crumbs. I used 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese instead of the Velveeta, which is too salty for my taste. I sprinkled cheddar cheese on the top."
"I love this recipe! The flavor is delicious and the texture makes it a perfect comfort food. We use cheddar instead of Velveeta and it still turns out really well."