Cheesy Cheddar Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1-1/2 cups frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Add water, vegetables and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in the flour, paprika and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add to soup; heat through. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 296 calories, 18g fat (12g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 580mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Cheddar Vegetable Soup
"I added some frozen mixed vegetables and I wish I hadn't. Overall this recipe is okay, but I thought it wasn't worth the effort to me."
"no lima beans or cabbage, but add baccos at the end"