Cheesy Cheddar Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1-1/2 cups frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Add water, vegetables and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in the flour, paprika and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add to soup; heat through. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 296 calories, 18 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 580 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Cheddar Vegetable Soup
"I added some frozen mixed vegetables and I wish I hadn't. Overall this recipe is okay, but I thought it wasn't worth the effort to me."
"no lima beans or cabbage, but add baccos at the end"