Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Soup Recipe
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, coarsely chopped (4 cups)
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sherry, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Dash paprika
- 1. In a saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Place broccoli in a steamer basket over water. Cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, combine the cornstarch, milk and broth until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Stir in the butter, sherry if desired, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Reduce heat. Add cheese and broccoli; heat just until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 3 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 203 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 873 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 fat-free milk.