Healthy chunks of broccoli are paired with the tangy taste of cheddar cheese in this hearty soup from Jean Komlos, Plymouth, Michigan. A dash of nutmeg and a splash of sherry add pizzazz to a kitchen classic.
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, coarsely chopped (4 cups)
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sherry, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Dash paprika
- In a saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Place broccoli in a steamer basket over water. Cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, combine the cornstarch, milk and broth until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the butter, sherry if desired, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Reduce heat. Add cheese and broccoli; heat just until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Cheddar Soup in Light & Tasty October/November 2001, p13
Reviews for Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review