- 1 medium bunch broccoli, coarsely chopped (4 cups)
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sherry, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Dash paprika
- In a saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Place broccoli in a steamer basket over water. Cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, combine the cornstarch, milk and broth until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the butter, sherry if desired, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Reduce heat. Add cheese and broccoli; heat just until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 3 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Soup
Sort By :
I love creamed soups and broccoli cheddar ia one of my favorites but I'm trying to cut back on fat and calories. This recipe does the trick. I was a little hesitant adding the sherry but it definately adds a different dimension to the soup than the standard recipe I had been using.